Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I call Joe The Computer Guy?
I'm glad you asked. There are plenty of
reasons, but here are just a few.
- I am a local business -- The guy you talk to on the phone is the person that comes to your door.
- I speak plain English -- When you call me, you are calling a neighbor, not someone half-way around the world. I don’t do "Geek Speak" either. We will talk in clear, simple English.
- Experience -- I have been working in the Information Technology industry for 25 years. The first time I used a computer I did it with punch-cards.
- Quick Response -- I'm based in Kent so I can usually get to your home in the same day.
- No Fuss -- No more climbing under your desk. No more toting your PC to a shop. All you have to do is tell me what's wrong and I'll take it from there. I do all the fussing so you don’t have to.
- Veteran Owned -- I proudly served in the United States Air Force for 10 years as a Communications Intelligence Analyst. I completed two overseas tours back-to-back followed by 3 years at the National Security Agency. I held a Top Secret (SBI/SCI) during my entire career.
- Reasonable Rates -- Since I work from my home, I can
charge a lot less than the big guys. My rate is $80.00 per hour (plus tax) while I'm
on site. If I have to take your PC back to the shop, I will quote a price
and I will stick to it.
Do you work on MACs?
I am not an experienced MAC user or technician. That having been said, I will be happy to take a look. I'm not too proud to admit when I'm out of my depth. If I can't fix it, there will be no charge. If you have a serious MAC issue there are several fine "I-guys" in the area that I can recommend.
Do you charge mileage for in-home service?
Not usually. Let me explain... My normal service area is Kent and the surrounding area. I do not charge mileage for service calls in this area. However, for service calls further afield I have to charge an additional fee to cover my costs (i.e. ferry fares, excess travel time, excess mileage).
Do you work on anything besides computers?
Yes. I can setup wireless networks (WiFi), home theaters sound systems, video streaming devices (like Roku, Chromcast, Amazon Fire, etc.) and many other high tech gadgets. A while back I even fixed an electronic doggie door. Give me a call. The worst I can say is no.